Saturday, September 18, 2010

Back to the Bible!

we had our 3rd field trip to a Biblical reserve called Neot Kedumim. (can i pronounce it? heavens no.) It is basically acres and acres of nature and Biblical replicas. The point was to live a day in Bible! You can hear, smell, taste and touch everyday life back then. Here is what we did:

1. drew water from a well
2. herded sheep (but really we did. we had to gather them and herd them into a circle)
3. gathered spices and made hyssop
4. made homemade pita bread
5. watched a legit Torah scribe at work
6. made a sukkah for the Jewish holiday coming up (Feast of the Tabernacle- everyone makes special huts out of boughs to pray/sit/sleep in)

We learned about all the plants, nuts and herbs in the bible and the symbols they carry. Oh highlight- I dried date honey! Never in my life have I ever wanted to eat a date, but it was part of the experience so I tried it. It was just like a sweet sugary syrup- delicious! It was fun to go back in time for a day- I make quite the domestic Bible woman!

TOMORROW WE LEAVE FOR EGYPT!!!! no big deal or anything. hahaha. while we are there we are going to: Cairo, Luxor and Sinai. Also I will be 20! Yes ladies and gentlemen I will be having my 20th birthday on top on Mount Sinai (we climb it that day). Booyah! We will make sure to fill you all in when we get back.... if we get back. hahaha just kidding! I refuse to get a) lost/left behind b) SICK c) carried off into the dessert on a run away camel.

No comments:

Post a Comment