Saturday, September 4, 2010

1st Sabbath

So today was our first Sabbath here. I have never experienced anything better! In the chapel there is a huge window that looks out over the Old City. It is more than incredible to realize that the reason for everything I do happened just right outside the window. I loved church - every second of it. I am learning so much and couldn't be more grateful to be here.
Also for the record: I am watching Prince of Egypt with a bunch of my friends. (FYI I am going to Egypt so soon!)
Also: I am wearing men's basketball shorts. And secretly I couldn't care less. Pretty much all of desire to look cute disappeared the second I stepped onto the plane. Gone. Vamoos! Hasta la vista baby!

Oh and before we had dinner, I went with some friends to see the Church of the Ascension, where it is believed that Christ ascended into heaven after he was resurrected. They wouldn't let us in because it cost 5 shekels and it is the Sabbath. But it was still fun!

Hm and what else? Oh last night we weren't allowed to leave the Center. On Fridays you can't go into the Old City until after 2 because all of the Muslims are praying. But it was the last night of Ramadan and Tafik Alawi, our new best friend the Palestinian body guard who is just amazing wanted us to not go in at all just to be safe. And we couldn't go into West Jerusalem because it closed early to prepare for the Sabbath.
So...we were stuck in the center.
Naturally for 80 college students, stuck in the Center for a night is equivalent to a dance party!
It was so much fun!
One of the boys here was definitely an EFY counselor, which means that he taught us dances all night. aka Shakira.
I just love everyone here and feel like its just going to get better from here!
Yay!
I'll post pictures later (after I take some)

xoxo,
elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment